Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Kat Scrappiness Guest Designer for August 2012

So if you know me getting things done at the last possible minute is pretty much routine. I'm working on it. It is still August so the title of this post still makes sense. I apologize to Kat for probably giving her a heart attack with my timing but I hope my project makes up for it.  So without further ado here is my guest design team project for Kat Scrappiness.

I decided to make something a little different. I wanted to do something very special with Kat's products because, well, she is a very special person and deserves great things. At the risk of sounding slightly new age, she has great Karma and I wanted to pass it along in my project.



She sent me a number of things for the design team package that I had an interest in, my favorites the felt rolled roses, pink felt butterflies, felt clouds, etc.  She also sent me some Action Wobbles. I knew exactly what I wanted to do almost immediately. My daughter is a master in the Pink Arts so I knew it had to be pink and frilly and blingy with a touch of whimsy just like her.  I started with a 16x20 canvas. I used a 12x12 Crafter's Workshop chicken wire mask and sprayed the canvas with Lindy's Stamp Gang starburst spray in Cotton Candy Pink.  I added some washi tape from the Sweetest Things collection from MME just because I have so much washi tape I thought I would add it in. I put a layer of Silver Shimmer Mod Podge over the washi tape which almost ruined it because it was much darker than anticipated. I fixed it my layering over Picket Fence Distress stain around the edges of the canvas to blend it all in. I then added some strategically placed bling.  Then the fun started.

I used a wood camera embellishment and embossed it with Zing silver glitter/metallic embossing powder and placed it in the bottom corner. I then started a large spray using Kat's felt rolled roses in ivory and gray, but she can make any color you want, and various I am roses. Tucked in the spray are two felt butterfly embellishments in light and dark pink. Because my daughter loves bunnies I had to add one to my canvas and Kat has one of my favorite bunny embellishments. My daughter's stuffed bunny, Bella, is a tan little bunny with long floppy ears and looks just like this. It originally came with a turquoise colored flower but I removed it and replaced it with a small gray rolled rose. I added a couple more butterflies and then added some bling from my stash to various felt flowers and butterflies.





I then added a large felt butterfly on the bottom opposite side above a bling swirl using an action wobble. I left the small heart shaped pieces inside the butterfly wings just because I liked the solid sparkly color impact that it made. I also added a bling swirl at the top of the flower spray and added another felt butterfly on an action wobble and a heat embossed cloud, embossed with iridescent white embossing power and a light pink butterfly adorned with some bling on another action wobble.  I added white and gray reversible felt clouds to the upper left corner on pop dots. I also added a second small wood cloud embossed with iridescent white embossing powder on an action wobble. Last but not least I added a kraft banner die cut among the clouds on pop dots. I white washed it with Tim Holtz picket fence distress stain and then sprayed it with Lindy's stamp gang starburst spray in Ghostly Gargoyle White. I then used a calligraphy pen and wrote the word Dream on it. I then used some metallic rub on medium in a sheer sparkle white to soften the black ink of the pen and then shadowed the banner with some silver metallic rub on medium. Added some more bling around the clouds and keep it out of the clutches of my daughter until it is ready to go on her wall.  The  center is being kept blank until my wonderful friend and photographer Stephanie is able to get around to all of the beautiful pictures she took of my children and they will eventually go in that empty space.





I thought that the softness of the felt embellishments would be perfect for a bedroom canvas and add just enough whimsy. The reason for the abundant use of action wobbles is because this canvas will hang directly across from her window and also people with have to walk by it when the go into her room. Every time the wind blows or someone passes by it the breeze or the vibration of the footsteps will cause the butterflies and clouds to flutter like they are real. Sooooo Cute!!!!  I hope you enjoyed my project and thank you Kat for giving me this opportunity to use your fantastic heartfelt embellishments and showcase some of my work.

Again check out her store at Kat Scrappiness.  There is lots to see there and her prices are fantastic!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

This is beautiful Dena! Wow, what a lucky daughter you have. I love that you used canvas. I love playing with framed canvas. Ms. Kat knew what she was doing when she chose you as a guest designer!

Kat said...

Wow you are so talented (and sweet), thank you so much for creating this gorgeous masterpiece with my goodies. I'm so pleased that you decided to join us this month and this project is beyond awesome!

Tracy said...

Wow Dena this is going to look so pretty in her room.
I love the idea of the wobbles under the butterflies to give them flight with any given movement.
Those felt flowers are just too pretty.
Great personal touch to add the bunny for your daughter.

Now that I picked myself up off the floor from shock, it is so wonderful to see a project from you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.